layout

Saturday, July 3, 2010

OVERPROTECTing = HANDICAPPing



I need time
Love
Joy
I need space
I need me

Say hello to the girl that I am
You're gonna have to see through my perspective
I need to make mistakes just to learn who I am
And I don't wanna be so damn protected

There must be another way
Cause I believe in taking chances
But who am I to say
What a girl is to do
God I need some answers

What am I to do with my life? (You will find it out don't worry)
How am I supposed to know whats right? (You just gotta do it your way)
I can't help the way I feel
But my life has been OVERPROTECTED

I tell em what I like, what I want and what I don't
But every time I do, I stand corrected
Things that I've been told, I can't believe
What I hear about the world I realize
I'm OVERPROTECTED

I don't need nobody telling me just what I wanna
What I what what what I'm gonna
Do about my destiny
I say no
Nobody's telling me just what I wanna do
I'm so fed up with people telling me to be
Someone else but ME
_____________________________________________________________________________

All my life, I have been "over protected". I was the youngest of three girls. Yes, my parents were more lenient with me than with them....okay they were ALOT more lenient with me than with them....but....I was still overprotected. Mostly by my dad. And don't get me wrong, I love him for it. But I would much rather make mistakes and learn from them than to have other people tell me that from THIER experience, it's not a good idea and I should steer clear. Well, maybe I will succeed. I'm not you and you're not me. Why don't you just shut your trap and let me make that mistake for myself?

"We just love you so much and we don't want to see you make the same mistake as we did and get hurt because we know how it feels and we don't want to see you hurt like that...blah de freaking blah!" Thank you so much for loving me! I know, I'm the princess. I'm the youngest. I'm precious. I'm adorable. You only want whats best for me because I'm such a wonderful person and I don't deserve to feel pain. Bullshit. The only thing you're doing by "protecting" me, is handicapping me. Sheltering me from feeling certain emotions is like putting a brick on my head, like the southerners say, and saying "don't grow up". Keeping me from certain failures is taking away precious knowledge. The most beautiful thing in life is LEARNING from your MISTAKES. And who knows, maybe the chances you take turn out to be GOOD.

Life is an adventure. In adventures, you take chances. When you take chances, sometimes you make mistakes. When you make mistakes, you learn. And when you learn, you live. See, it's all one big circle. You can't mess with the circle of life!

Now, it pisses me off when people try to "protect" me from things like career moves, school stuff, etc....But when you mess with my HEART....when you "protect" me from getting hurt....that. THAT. That's a low blow. Not only does it piss me off, but THAT breaks my heart. YOU broke my heart from trying to protect it. Just like one of the Olsen twins said in the movie "It Takes Two": "Growups, they think too much". And that's absolutely right. We analyze the CRAP out of everything instead of just LEAPING. Just go for it! If it ends up ending tragically, then it ends up ending tragically and you grow. But what if it ends up being the best thing that ever happened to you? Or, tragically, what if you wait so damn long, you lose the opportunity to be GREAT? What then?

Eh, I don't know. Just my thoughts for the night. Hope I entertained you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers